Aviagen® is committed to Breeding Sustainability for our customers, the communities they serve, and the planet, our home. The story of how balanced breeding leads to strengthening the environmental pillar of sustainability by lessening the poultry industry’s carbon footprint comes alive in the video and infographic you can view below.
3 Pillars of Sustainability
Aviagen breeds efficiencies that minimize the ecological impact of food production. Due to our balanced breeding approach, we have succeeded in improving the Feed Conversion Ratio (FCR), or the rate at which the chicken converts feed into body weight, and FCR has proven to represent the greatest environmental advantage of all broiler production traits.
According to the International Poultry Council (IPC), the economic pillar enables “poultry companies, producers and allied industries to thrive in a sustainable manner, while adhering to the principles of food security and improved human nutrition." Aviagen’s breeding efficiencies optimize business returns, ensuring the economic success of our customers and making chicken production an attractive proposition for future growers.
Social Sustainability is about taking care of animals and people. The social pillar focuses on animal welfare, food safety and security. Aviagen promotes social sustainability by permanently and continuously improving the welfare of our bird populations, caring about our birds, our customers and the people in the communities they serve.
The United Nations created the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a call to action to help the world’s people thrive, while protecting the planet. The International Poultry Council (IPC) has prioritized five SDGs as areas where the global poultry industry can join in this effort and make a difference. Aviagen and the IPC share the mission to create a better world for today and for future generations, and our Top 5 Commitments are in direct harmony with the five priority SDGs, as illustrated in this interactive Breeding Sustainability presentation.
Our teams around the world engage regularly in activities and initiatives to put sustainability into action. Follow this link to articles and publications highlighting our commitment to breeding sustainability.
• "Decades of Welfare and Sustainability Selection at Aviagen Chickens and Turkeys," by Anne-Marie Neeteson, Magnus Swalander, John Ralph, Alfons Koerhuis; Aviagen Group.
• Aviagen Security of Supply infographic
• Biodiversity – Breeding Choice for the Markets of Today and Tomorrow, published in Zootecnica International, October 2021
• Sustainability poultry production through responsible, balanced breeding, published in Zootecnica International, December 2021
• Five Tools of the Trade to Strengthen Global Poultry Supply, published in Zootecnica International, January 2022